October 20, 2020
RADIO PROTOCOL as to calling the Port Control.
- Port Elizabeth Port Control are on VHF Channel 12
- The Port of Port Elizabeth is working Port. Therefore, all recreational vessels e.g. sailing boats etc, carry no priorities.
- The above point 2 extends outside of the Port to include the VTS.
- Yachts calling the Port Control requesting permission to exit the Port, must be in their mooring.
- When calling the Port Control, the skipper must give the yacht name followed by the PEYS number.
- Radio watch is always to be maintained.
- Yacht owners are strongly advised to have an external VHF speaker installed in the boat cockpit and/or have a hand held VHF within Audible range or crew person on hand at the fixed radio until clear of the port?
- When returning to Port, yachts must lay abeam of the Port Control Tower outside of the eastern breakwater wall, and outside of the VTS, before calling the Port Control.
- All yachts, prior to leaving moorings are to LOG OUT on Sailing PE web, and to sign back in. This Log is monitored 24/7 therefore it is important that the information furnished is accurate.
All the best,
For and on behalf of the Safety Officers