South African Maritime Safety Authority
Date: 12 October 2018
Marine Notice No 29 of 2018
Survey of Coastal Radio Services.
TO ALL REGIONAL MANAGERS, PRINCIPAL OFFICERS, SHIP OWNERS, MASTERS, SHIP’S
OFFICERS, SMALL VESSEL OWNERS AND OPERATORS AND AFFECTED PARTIES
This marine notice serves to notify Seafarers and relevant Shore Based Maritime Radio Communication
centers about a Survey of Radio Coverage for the South African Coast with the intent to declare Sea Area
A1 in addition to the current Sea Area A3.
1. Radio Communication testing along the entire South African coast is to be conducted and will commence
on 15th October 2018 on the Maritime VHF Radio Frequency Bands, especially channel 16 (RT) and channel
70 (DSC), to determine the coverage of the current and new systems that have been installed at the various
coastal radio sites. Tests will be conducted on an hourly basis throughout the test period.
2. The duration of the testing will be approximately 20 days.
3. High Frequency Bands (SSB) and NAVTEX reception will also be tested during this period.
4. The tests are to determine the range and strength of the VHF signals from the coast and will determine
coverage from the Orange River Mouth to Ponta Do Ouro (Kosi Bay).
5. M/V SA AGULHAS, IMO: 7628136, MMSI: 601048000, CALL SIGN: ZSAF, FLAG: South Africa, is the
vessel from which the tests will be conducted with the Coastal Radio Services of South Africa.
6. During these tests, care will be taken not to disrupt any Distress, Urgency or Safety transmissions.
7. Seafarers and all other affected parties are requested to take cognizance of the importance of the radio
frequency readings that will determine the coverage area around the South African Coast and to be tolerant
thereto whilst the procedure is taking place.
MN 29 of 2018 Page 2 of 2
8. A Notice to Mariners will be published by the SAN Hydrographic Office and navigational warnings will be
transmitted by the Coastal Radio Service of South Africa (Cape Town, Port Elizabeth and Durban Radio)
during their scheduled broadcasts.
12 October 2018
Issued by and obtainable from:
The South African Maritime Safety Authority
146 Lunnon Road
P O Box 13186
Tel.: +27 12 366 2600
Fax: +27 12 366 2601
Web Site : www.samsa.org.za