NOTICE OF RACE
Vasco da Gama International Ocean Race Maputo to Durban
Thursday, 20 May 2021
Organised by the Point Yacht Club and Clube Naval, under the auspices of South African Sailing (SAS)
- THE RACEThe Vasco da Gama International Ocean Race is a race from Maputo, Mozambique to Durban, South Africa, and starts on Thursday 20 May 2021. The race is organised by the Point Yacht Club and Clube Naval, under the auspices of South AfricanSailing(SAS).
2.1. The race will comprise the following fleets:
- 2.1.1. IRC Racing fleet for Monohull boats with valid 2020 ORC certificates.
- 2.1.2. Monohull fleet for Monohulls which do not have a valid ORC certificate.
- 2.1.3. Multihullfleet.
- 2.1.4. Rally Class fleet for both Monohull and Multihull boats. Boats entering the Rally Class shall only be eligiblefor the prizes specifically allocated to the Rally Class fleet and shall not be eligible for any Line Honours
- 2.2. Monohull boats shall have an overall length (LOA) of not less than 9.0 metres.
- 2.3. Multihull boats shall have an overall length (LOA) of not less than 9.0 metres.
- 2.4. All boats shall have a valid Category A registration with SAS.
- 2.5. Should there be sufficient entries in any fleet; the Race Committee may divide that fleet into two or moreclasses, at its sole discretion.
2.5.1. In accordance with the World Sailing Regulation 19 (Eligibility Code), all competitors (Helmspersons
and all other crew) shall be members in good standing of a Yacht Club affiliated to and in good standing with SA Sailing or their Member National Authority in the case of non-South Africans. The Yacht Club name and membership details shall be stated on the entry form or crew list. Current valid South African Sailing Membership Cards or similar proof of MNA Membership in cases of non-South Africans shall be presented at Registration.
3. COURSE & DATE
- 3.1. The race will start in Maputo, Mozambique and finish in Durban, South Africa. The race distance is approximately 300 nautical miles.
- 3.2. The race will start on Thursday 20 May 2021, with the warning signal for the first fleet to start scheduled for 09h55 SAST.
- 3.3. Details of the start and finish lines, plus starting and finishing instructions, will be published in the Sailing Instructions.